Sunday 2 March 2014

Just ½" Wider & ¾" Longer...

That's the difference (inside hoop measurements) between my 95 sq inch ProStaff Classic versus the ProStaff 85.











Whenever I bring the PS85 out for some fun hits, friends and acquaintances would advise me to switch up to a larger sized frame.

"Keep the PS85... it's a collectors item... you cannot play with that..." they'll say. All well intentioned, of course.


But after they have had a few hits with it themselves, most started nodding their heads at how well it played compared to their regular sticks.


Instead of opting for a larger frame size, I believe appropriate stringing can optimize the sweetspot size much better. Improper tensioning not only reduces the sweetspot size, it also warps the frame.


Small headsizes also have the added advantage of a naturally higher sweetspot which many preferred. To some, that ½-¾" higher sweetspot means about 15g of weight need not be added at 12 o'clock. That is significant.


Other than the PS85, occasionally, I still hit around with my 65 sq in woody (link1)(link2). It's excellent for training how to find the sweetspot consistently.


For a while, I've been thinking about "God's racket" (link). That will probably be the only stick whose sweetspot cannot be optimized however it's strung.







No comments:

Post a Comment