Monday 5 October 2015

Nuclear Powered Softie - Dunlop Max 200G

For a few years now, an old friend, "M", has been searching for his long lost "old love" - the Dunlop Max 200G. The one from the 1980s used by John McEnroe and Steffi Graf. (link1)(link2)

When I saw one put up for sale, I bought it immediately! Since it was from the 80s, to be fair, I brought my 80's stick (ProStaff 85) to pit against the 200G.





Although the 200G was a graphite racket, it played incredibly soft. With a flex of RA 40+, it is probably the softest graphite racket ever made. That flex is almost on par with wooden frames!

I thought it would be a challenge to wield the 365 grams racket. Maneuverability would be pathetic. Not to mention that meagre 84 square inch head size. And that 18x20 dense stringbed...


But I was very very wrong!


While I cannot say the racket was fast, it played extremely well! Effortlessly well. And it had a HUGE sweetspot! Much easier to handle than the PS85. More comfortable. More powerful. And oh so comfortably SOFT!!!


Usually, when I bring out my PS85, I was the bully. The beefed up heavy swingweight of almost 350 kg/cm² meant very few could push me around. Even their hardest shots could easily be returned or simply blocked back deep with a compact swing.


Against the stock 200G, I was the victim!


I took full loopy swings and flattened out my swing path. Smacked the back of the ball directly forward with mere inches of net clearance. 


But I could do no damage to my heavily-armed opponent. 


My partner took a leisurely swing and returned ALL my power into the ball right back at me. I did not have to run. I had enough time to swing, load up and step into the shot. Despite that, I could not sustain the VERY heavy impacts.


By the fourth or fifth of each rally ball, I was spent. My shots became shorter and slower. Then my timing went. Out of about 10 balls we used, 9 eventually hit the tape or went into the net.


The change from bully to victim was demoralizing. This is simple physics. Sir Isaac Newton explained:


Force = Mass x Acceleration

No one can defy this physical law. The one who can wield the heavier stick prevails. Why else would professional tennis players use such ridiculously heavy rackets with high swingweights?


Luckily, my partner could only handle the 200G for brief moments of about 10-15 minutes. So we could take turns to rule the court and dictate play!




     

No comments:

Post a Comment