Sunday 23 March 2014

Wilson Blade 93 (18x20)

After being convinced that strings can make a huge difference to how the racket plays (link), Z started having second thoughts about selling all his 18x20 sticks and converting to open patterns.

Unfortunately, the fishing line I used in the Dunlop (link) was not readily available. So he asked for recommendations. And I suggested a shaped poly with syn gut hybrid.


Z had already restrung the Blade 93 thrice with different setups, none to his liking. This was the last chance for the 18x20. He had two Blade 93 and has already sold one.


I wanted to get it right for him. The added advantage was, I have played with Z, so I understand his hitting style, strength, spin preference and racket prep. 


Despite the decent swingweight (333 kg/cm2) of this racket (link), string tension would be kept low due to the dense 18x20 string pattern. The base tension would be 45 lbs for mains and 43 lbs for crosses, with some variations at different strings.



Z was so excited that he picked up the racket for play right after I finished stringing it. He arranged for another hitting partner and agreed to update me via sms.

After just an hour of playtest, a flurry of messages was exchanged between Z and me. I extracted a few below...


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z: The blade bites like hell!!!! My topspins were heavier and deeper. U revived my blackie!!!!!!! Omg this is much better than the 95s!!! U hv to try it. I can feel the cutting and the biting!!! And though tension was low. Its well controlled and just nice. Deeep enough but doesnt fly the balls! U are genius


Z: Did u remove some weight from the racquet! The power is there even though i felt like i was late for the ball


me: Thanks! Glad u like it. It's a proven setup... done it many times...


me: Yes, prob dropped a few grams cos syn gut lighter than poly. Your hands r very sensitive.


Z: U hv to try the blade and blog it...i swear it could b one of ur finest work

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not be afraid of using low tensions in poly/syn gut hybrids. Polys are designed with that in mind in the first place. Worst case scenario, is to send a few tennis balls into orbit in space. Then, just cut the strings out and add a few pounds of tension in the next re-string.


Here's a pic after about 10 hours of use... and it's still going strong and playing extremely well!








6 comments:

  1. nice man! ive just bought one so, which was the exact setup you did here? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and what brands do u recommend me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tomas,

    I recall it was a thin 1.20mm, probably 18 or 19 gauge shaped poly string in the mains, and a 1.25mm 17g synthetic gauge in the crosses.

    Tension was 45/43 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you very much! what brands do you recommend me for this setup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any specific brands in mind now so I cannot recommend any, especially when I have not even seen how you hit the ball in person.

      The best person to help you is your local stringer.

      Delete