Saturday 22 March 2014

Wilson PSC6.1 with 0.90mm Fishing Line hybrid

A few friends have been asking how this thin fishing line would perform in a hybrid, when strung in an open patterned racket.

Then I recalled that previous attempts were either:

(1) fullbed in open patterned racket, or
(2) hybrid in dense patterned racket. (link)

So I got down to doing that heavy pre-stretch again to get the string ready and then laced one up...




It's amazing how thin this line is. The incredible ball feel is just indescribable.




Playtest:

- Tested this racket against a very fit partner named PK.
- Throughout the session, I could not reconcile how and why this stringbed felt so soft, limp and a little uncontrollable.
- Power level was very low. Had to take full loopy swings to get the ball deep on the other side.
- Feel, bite and spin remained very good though.
- After I reached home, showered and changed, I took the racket out to check if tension loss was excessive. Then I saw the mains had snapped in the bag...



- I still have a few wanting to test this setup, so I did that "taboo" stuff again (link) and restrung only the mains...




- Then it dawned on me! PK brought the wrong can of balls! Instead of new ones, he brought an opened can previously used for play in the rain. We tested the bounce and it was only about 45% at best. 

- The ITF stipulates ball bounce from 100" to be between 53"-58", or 53-58% (link). 
- With the flat balls, both of us unconsciously hit much harder, leading to less control and greater stress on the stringbed (link1)(link2). No wonder the mains snapped...
- Will do another playtest with fresh balls and update here.


23Mar2014 update:
- The difference in stringbed performance was very significant between old and new balls.
- This session was very fun and enjoyable. With proper bouncing balls, control and accuracy was very good. 
- Hitting deep was easy since there was more than enough spin to dip the ball down before it flies out. There's no need to hold back and we could just let it rip.
- Comfort remains excellent and string movement minimal.
- Next few sessions would throw up more info on tension maintenance since I did a different type of pre-stretch for the fishing line.




25Mar2014 update:
- Due to the previous premature snapping of the fishing line, I was caught unprepared. I did not provide enough time for the pre-stretch before stringing and string tension dipped drastically.
- I cut out everything and restrung from scratch. I cannot recall how many iterations of this fishing line I've tried, but the cost so far is definitely in the hundreds...
- I was running low on this fishing line, so I thought I'll just string up the centre mains this time. I measured thrice to ensure the line was really pre-stretched very well before stringing.
- Although each re-string brought me closer to the ideal setup, there are still many issues to review, especially tension holding, durability and string movement.
- I tested this racket playing with a big and strong chap named W. He admitted the spin was extraordinary, even with just a seemingly light brush that I did. Throughout the two hour session, he confessed that all he thought of, was how to crack my spin.
- Looking at the stringbed after two hours, I think the string movement issue can now be considered resolved.







No comments:

Post a Comment