Tuesday 21 May 2013

Max Polarisation: Yonex RD-7 + Syn Gut @ 32lbs


If you have been following this blog, you probably would know one of my playing partner, "M", and his perpetual quest for "MORE SPIN".

This is the fourth Yonex RD-7 I'm working on in recent weeks. M really likes this frame. He's still searching for his ideal setup and has just given me a free hand to modify cum string this racket as I please.


So? 


First things first --> Fact finding!


This chap has:

1. strong forearms,
2. strong wrists,
3. no history of wrist or elbow injuries,
4. decent spin but forever craves more,
5. a preference for polarised frames,
6. a preference for racket maneuverability over stability,
7. decent power but wants more plowthrough.

To me, he sounds like the perfect candidate for a polarised frame setup.




This stock RD7, unstrung, with original leather grip weighs 320g. To keep it fast and maneuverable, there's not a lot of extra weight I can play around with. The leather grip has to go. I'm targeting a final total weight of below 350g, including dampener.




The leather grip alone weighs 24g.


Next step is to get the racket strung. I've posted enough of racket stringing pics so I'll skip them this time.

Weight after stringing before grips, lead tape and dampener is 310g. I'll set aside 10g for grips and 5g for the dampener. That leaves about 25g for weight polarisation, balance/swingweight tuning and sweetspot adjustments.


Instead of using leather, a replacement grip or several wraps of overgrip, I am using the "foam" method. (link) That beefs up the size very quickly yet adds very little weight. See how thick and cushy it looks?




The slight bump in the grip is because I added about 10g of lead for polarisation.


Based on my calculations, about 12g are needed at the top of the frame to achieve a 32.5cm balance, move the sweetspot up and increase the swingweight.




Done! M just needs to plug-in his dampener.


Playtest:

- This racket is a spin machine!!!
- The extreme polarised weight at both ends almost swings itself from the momentum. We just need to start the racket going and it will carry on in the intended direction.
- Power is extremely good. At my receiving end, I do not recall M hitting so deep and hard so consistently. The racket generates the whip.
- Serves are impressive with the raised sweetspot and lead at 12. M's previous height record for kick-serves was up to my shoulder level. Today, several kicked up to my head level. I almost had to hit an overhead smash to return his serve. There's definitely a lot more power and spin with this setup.
- When I tried the racket, I can feel that I am moving faster with the polarised weight compared to my de-polarised PSC6.1.
- The only advantage of a polarised setup is that the frame plays a little stiffer. Momentum from the 12g at 12 stabilises the frame and I did not feel any flex in the racket even though it is only RA54.
- M likes it.




Strings:
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan 1.25mm @ 32lbs
(one-piece)




No comments:

Post a Comment