Tuesday 14 May 2013

Wilson PSC 6.1 + Syn Gut @ 33 lbs (Varied Cross)

In Singapore, the weather is gradually getting hotter. Even in the early mornings when I play, temperature can reach mid-30s degrees Celcius (about high 90s degrees F).

Heat does strange things to strung racket strings. For unknown reasons, even when I did not get my natural gut wet nor damp, the string suddenly felt "rubbery". Lest you wonder, the rackets are not stored in a car boot but in a cabinet in a cool room.

Perhaps it's because I re-used the natural gut? (link1)(link2)

Anyway, I'm not about to budge from ELT anytime soon. With the open stringing pattern, the last straight-up 30lbs felt a little loose (link). So I'll try something a little higher at 33 lbs plus some proportional stringing in the crosses.

I will change the stringing slightly too. For this one-piece job, I'll leave the last mains on the long side. Then I'll start from the third cross on top to the last. Then fill the last main, second cross and first cross respectively.

The pic below should help you to visualise.




Other than varying tension, the other reason is to test whether tension holding improves by "sacrificing" the last main and top two crosses. From past ball fur pics, I don't hit with these two parts of the racket anyway.

For those who missed my earlier proportional stringing experiments using one-piece stringing, here are some links:


My objectives with this stringing, compared to the last straight-up 30lbs, is to:
- retain the extraordinary comfort and pocketing of ELT
- reduce spin slightly
- increase power slightly
- test if the new pattern can "lock-in" better tension maintenance

Playtest:
- I played this morning (18May), six days after the racket was strung.
- Tension holding is extremely good. For those who subscribe to the frequency measurement of string tensions, tension dropped only about 1.6 lbs in four days (unplayed) compared to immediately off the stringer.
- After about 75min of play today, tension dropped by another measly 0.3 lbs!
- Other than the frequency measurement, the stringbed felt tight throughout the session of play. I did not experience the "break-in" or tension drop normally felt after 20-30 minutes of hard hits.
- A lady playing partner tried the racket too and refused to believe this was strung at ELT of 33lbs! She enjoyed it so much that she is now regretting not heeding my advice to try ELT earlier.
- With the slightly shallower pocketing, spin decreased slightly but still way better than normal tensions.
- Directional "problems" I had with deep pocketing disappeared completely. This setup is "aim where go where", like a laser-guided missile.
- Comfort remains superb with a huge sweetspot.
- Power levels are very good too.
- All four objectives are achieved, with tension holding being the most impressive so far. I have never had a racket hold tension so well before!
- Just for comparison, 33 lbs in this 95 sq in (16x18) plays very close to 30 lbs in my 80 sq in (16x19). (link)
- Will monitor and update again before and after play the second time I use this racket.

20May2013 update:
- Tension after about 90min of play dropped by only 0.2lbs! This is probably as best as it gets! Amazing!
- The "tightness" I felt previously is still there. No dip in tension at all.
- Because of less pocketing, flat serves accuracy improved tremendously. However, I have to consciously aim slightly higher due to the lower rebound angle of the stringbed compared to at 30 lbs.
- Spin serves continue to carry very heavy amounts of spin. In the two sets I played, I used the flat serves only twice. The spin was good enough to be used as a first serve even though there was much less power than a flat. Because of that, I had only two double faults.
- Even my partner was astonished as how "tight" the stringbed felt. For once, he really believed that he could go lower than 33 lbs!

22May2013:
- Hit with this racket for about 90min again.
- Tension loss was a mere 0.1lbs after the game.
- The sweetspot has developed a darker shade due to string/ball friction. Pic below.



13Jun2013 update:
- I played with this strings for approximately another 3 hours since 22May and the tension remained the same. There was no more tension loss.
- Spin serves continue to amaze and comfort remains supreme.
- The acid test for me was whenever I was facing a challenging opponent during gameplay, I would always come back to use this stick. So I know the stringbed works well for me.

06Jul2013 update:
- After more than 12 hours of use, the strings has lost its liveliness.
- Pocketing has become shallower and power levels have dropped too.
- Ball contact feel is not longer crisp but "murky".
- Spin levels have dropped back to on par with conventionally tensioned rackets. 

29Jul2013:
- Just for the fun of it, I played a game with this racket.
- The liveliness is definitely long gone but it is still playable.
- I noticed the string rebound has slowed too. So there is something like a "delayed effect" before the ball departs. But the duration is very very short.
- Out of mischief, I tried to time my "windshield wiping" to be in sync when the pocketing felt deepest. The result was hilarious!!! The ball travelled in a "n" shaped path and became a topspin lob with super heavy spin, kicking over my partner's head while he fumbled!!!



Strings:
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan 1.25mm @ 33lbs 
(varied crosses)



No comments:

Post a Comment