Saturday 11 May 2013

Replacement Grips

My friends and I always wondered why replacement grips are so expensive.

If they lasted forever, like leather grips, then we would have no qualms parting with our cash. But very few stay cushy for long.


So far, the replacement grips I've tried all got "deflated" in just a few sessions of play. I would then have to add an overgrip to get it back to the correct size and tackiness.


This creates another problem with the racket's weight and balance. Over time, we ended up adding as much as 3 overgrips. On average, each overgrip weighs 6 grams. Three would make 18g.


In addition to the extra static weight, the balance would move down and become very head light. Swingweight remains, or increases very slightly. But the racket has becomes clumsy and slow to maneuver. (Try adding 18g to 370g...)


This got me thinking...


How about some insulation foam tape instead?




Let's see, it is...

- much cheaper than a replacement grip,
- available in different thickness,
- soft and cushy,
- retains its shape well,
- sweat absorbent,
- non-slip,
- easy to install and remove,
- dampens shock and vibrations,

...and most importantly, it is very very light!

Bingo!!!


This is another little secret of mine I'm sharing. Enjoy your savings!!!




14May2013 update:
I'm still experimenting with many different types of foam tape as a replacement grip. 

Some dampened the feel too much even though vibrations are absorbed too. Others were too soft and the handle felt a little wobbly. It affected my confidence more than any directional control though.

Here's another one that I think suits my requirements very well. Take a look for yourself?

Given the thickness of the foam tape, there cannot be overlaps during installation. I pulled the foam tight and as close to the lines as possible.


 

I applied just one layer of overgrip directly on top of the foam. You can even SEE how soft and cushy it is!!!



Just as adding weight on the handle moves the sweetspot down, removing weight moves the balance and sweetspot up. The top third is exactly where I like my ball contact area to be!

For this racket, I replaced the replacement grip with foam and shaved 12grams. Balance moved up 0.9cm. I like it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment