Tuesday 18 November 2014

Stringing Machine: 2-Points Mount vs 6-Points Mount

A few keen on purchasing their own stringing machines asked me the importance of 2-points mounts versus 6-points.

As with anything else, it always seem the more the better, right?

However, my experience appears otherwise.

Thinking back, I have had many rackets done by others on high-end 6-points mount stringing machines. Yet frame distortion happened. (link)

When tensioning the mains at 50 lbs on a 16 mains racket, the total stress adds up to 800 lbs (16 x 50). Each end of the racket, at 12 and 6 o'clock respectively, would be subjected to a total of 400 lbs of direct pulling force compressing the hoop together.

In my younger days, I often sat on the hoop of tennis rackets with the handle butt on the floor. None cracked. So I have good faith in my racket's construction.

But looking at the mounting posts of ANY stringing machine, can anyone believe that those posts are capable of supporting 400 lbs each?

When stringing mains, hoops often shorten from 12 to 6 o'clock and widen between 3 and 9. When the crosses were strung, the 3 and 9 often narrows back and lengthens 12 to 6 again. I saw that happen and measured it multiple times.

Moreover, other than the mounts at 12 and 6, the other 4 "mounts" are merely supporting arms not fastened to the hoop. So it functioned more like a "safety guide", to prevent the hoop from changing its shape excessively before the crosses are done.

There have also been reports of over-tightened mountings at 12 and 6 causing lots of racket squeaks during tensioning. A few experienced cracks and believed it was due to the over-tightened mounts not allowing the hoop to flex freely.

That said, I am still satisfied with my 2-points mount. YMMV!





No comments:

Post a Comment