Friday 1 August 2014

DIY Textured Strings?

Many of the newer polys are shaped or textured, claiming it would increase bite and spin.

Despite many polys I've tested, "The One" remains elusive. But the idea of a rough texture increasing spin through higher friction appeals to me. (link)

Since I no longer break strings like I used to, I cut them out after about 8-10 hours, or when they've lost their mojo.

Instead of cutting out one that's due, I thought I'll rough it up as an experiment.

Even with a 60 grit, sandpaper was too smooth. I wanted it REALLY rough! So the bastard file was deployed.



It was so rough it was impossible to draw the stringbed against the back of my hand. Perhaps a really sadistic person could do that, but I couldn't. Neither my partner.

How rough? Just think of a grating tool...



To preserve some durability, only one side of the stringbed was filed. The other was left untouched as a comparison.


Playtest:
- Before and after roughing the strings, I measured the stringbed frequency. It was the same. So tension was a non-factor, even after play.
- Within the first few hits, it was obvious that ball feel was A LOT better on the rough side. The difference was something like hitting with a 18g string versus a 16g.
- Another surprising find was an improvement in directional control.
- Even when hitting totally flat, it felt so much easier to aim and direct the ball. 
- Comparing both sides, the smooth side felt slippery and that the ball was skidding a little across the strings during impact! Without a high speed camera, there was no way for me to verify that, it just felt that way to me.
- To ensure the greater accuracy was not mere psychology, I got my partner to feed me balls while I aimed at targets I usually found challenging. Five shots each were attempted with each side of the stringbed, alternating at every shot. The result was telling!
- I got my partner to try while I fed him easy balls, and he shared exactly the same sentiments.
- With the extra ball-to-string friction, all kinds of spin improved across all strokes, including serves.
- This extra bite on the ball was easily seen after less than ten strokes! The tennis ball fluffed up like a pom pom ball!
- The stringbed pic is below.



- Keep in mind, this stringbed was already used for about 9 hours before this. It was dead enough for me to want to cut it out.
- If you wish to test it, go easy on the roughing process. I snapped the earlier two attempts, this was the third.
- Even this snapped overnight after about an hour of play.







3 comments:

  1. Hi, great post, as always. I was thinking to do this with sand paper(not so extreme using the bastard file).

    I´m plannig to do some tests, glueing something (maybe tiny portions of string to the stringbed. Is that legal? Let´s see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried the SpinGen tool?

    ReplyDelete