Wednesday 15 October 2014

Resurrecting a Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 MidPlus

This oldie was introduced sometime around 1999. According to the Tennis Warehouse review, it "quickly became Wilson's most popular selling Hyper Carbon model". (link)

This 27½" midplus version was touted to be quick, maneuverable, powerful, controlled and stable. Basically an all-rounder racket. It even served and volleyed well.

Only downside was a seemingly inability to generate spin with its 16x20 string pattern. Coupled with the very high stiffness of RA 75, I decided to use proportional stringing to soften the impact, and hopefully "turbo-charge" the spin department.





Playtest:
- The stiffness of this stick is unmistakable! Despite the softer perimeter strings, mis-hits were more uncomfortable than modern rackets.
- It could be due to the ½" longer length, but the 95 sq inch felt much smaller. Maybe more like an 90 sq inch? I was very glad proportional stringing was used to open up the sweetspot. Without which, I doubt I could handle this racket.
- Power was very good. Not excessive, but enough to land most of my shots somewhere between my opponent's service and baseline. And this power could be reigned in with shorter swings or cranked up on demand as well.
- Even with a full bed of syn gut, I found spin extremely impressive! The amount obtained easily ranks amongst the very bests I have tried. Just take a look at the amount of ball fur ripped off by the strings in half an hour.


- String movement was acceptable to me. I was not bothered by it. Rather, I found straightening them out between points comforting. You can gauge the amount of string movement in pic below.


- The extra length helped my serve. I felt I could hit the ball higher before it dropped. Placements, even near the outer side service lines felt easier. The stiff flex aided with aiming too.
- Volleys were very good. I felt confident with it. It was a matter of getting the ball on the strings and letting it do it's work.






No comments:

Post a Comment