Monday 4 March 2013

Oldie: Yonex R-10 + Syn Gut/Multi @ 35/33 lbs

Found another classic racket from the 80s. That was the era when manufacturers have had some initial success with graphite rackets. 

Everyone was jumping onto the graphite bandwagon and every brand was trying to differentiate themselves from the pack. It was a time of changes! (Check out the marketing brochure here! "Square heads for Smart Players!")


If my research is correct, the mid 80s was when Yonex first introduced their now famous "Isometric" shaped rackets. The R-10 should be the earlier or first batches with their signature "square frame" designs! In full graphite!


As usual, I could not find any info online. Not even stringing instructions! So I measured as many aspects as I could.


Frame size: 95 sq inch

Length: 27"
Strung weight: 361g
Balance: 32.1cm (strung + 1 layer overgrip, no lead tape)
Recommended Tension: 55-65lbs
Grip: Yonex Leather (Mine's still in very good condition!)
Grip Size: 4 1/4
Material: 100% Graphite
Stringing Pattern: 16x21 (Not too sure about this)

The racket was found strung but so many strings were broken and missing that I could not make out any useful pattern from it. So I thought I'll try to solve the puzzle myself as I string along. After all, this is done ELT, so any potential damage is minimised.


Stringing Instructions (T=top B=bottom):

Mains Skip 8T, 8B
Shared holes 9T, 7B, 9B
Mains Tie 6B, Cross Tie 7T, Start Cross 8T, Cross Tie 8B

(I appreciate help if anyone has better stringing instructions. Thanks!)


With more longer main strings, I decided to up the tension slightly to 35/33 lbs. This is to ensure I don't lose too much power or generate too much spin. Yes, if you have been following my ELT experiments, you'll know that you've read correctly. (link) Low power with too much spin! Yes, with synthetic gut!


Here's the pics...






Note the shared hole on the second cross (9T) in below pic.



After spending about 20 minutes trying to push the last cross into the last shared hole (7B), I had to give up. It just could not go in and I was running late for an appointment. So this racket is done 16x20 this round... heh... heh...





Playtest:

- It is a very comfortable strings setup with no harsh spots.
- Power level is very low. We had to swing the racket really hard to generate our own power. I suspect it could be due to the soft racket flex or the very dense stringbed.
- Spin is good. We can slice the ball backwards, kick the ball high with topspin and even curl the ball in mid-air. No problems!
- Accuracy did not pose any problems at all.
- As usual, volleys were extremely easy with ELT. I think other than the superb spin generation, volleys would be the next best thing with ELT.




Strings:
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Spiral Flex 1.30mm mains @ 35 lbs
Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.30mm cross @ 33 lbs



No comments:

Post a Comment