Friday 11 October 2013

Fancy: 0.70mm Fishing Line

I guess I'm really hooked (...pun intended...) on fishing line...

If you missed the previous posts, here they are:

Fancy: Fishing Line Anyone?

Fancy: How About Grass Trimmer Line?

Fancy: Galvanized Steel Wire?

Fancy: 0.90mm Fishing Line

This time I'm going down to badminton gauge. It has to be a hybrid since the previous 0.90mm could not last in a full bed.

But it looks more like 0.75mm to me? Given how much it will stretch, it's definitely going to be much thinner after it's strung!



This was extremely challenging to string. The string is so thin the clamps kept slipping. But when the clamps were too tight, the strings snapped! 

Slippage at the tensioner's string jaws was even worse! A starting clamp had to be used to hold the string before tensioning. And the string snapped at the jaws too!

After carefully finishing the mains, the string snapped again when I was hand-tugging to tighten a knot. (Please protect your fingers!!! Fishing line cuts very deep!!! I wrapped my pinky with used overgrips and masking tape)

To prevent knot slippage, I had to tie several knots at each tie-off.

The pic below was my fourth attempt! After stringing this, I think doing natural gut or full poly is a walk in the park...




Just for comparison... The orange string (right racket) was the 0.90mm fishing line. The purplish-pink (left) is the 0.70mm.



If this can survive ball impacts, I'm expecting it to really bite!

Playtest:
- Everything was absolutely amazing!
- Spin was ridiculously good! Power was good! Control was good! Comfort was good too!!!
- It's unbelievable such a thin string can even sustain play! All that hard work into stringing and re-stringing was worth it.
- Below pic shows how much ball fur accumulated after only 15 minutes of light rally. I wasn't even whipping the racket yet!


- Loads of ball furs kept sticking to my shorts... I had already brushed off most of it.



- This pic shows the amount of fur accumulated after about an hour of play.





15Oct2013 update:
- Just noticed there is notching on the fishing line from the previous session of play. Not sure how much longer it will last.




19Oct2013 Update:
- String snapped on my first shot on court today... 
- Great excuse for me to move to another setup... heh... heh...





No comments:

Post a Comment