Tuesday 15 October 2013

Retrying Grass Trimmer Line (16x10)

After advising someone to try grass trimmer line in his exotic 12x16 patterned racket (link), I got very curious myself and started thinking...

I recalled the grass trimmer line hybrid (link) played a little dead for soft hits. But all-out full swings felt extremely nice. Almost like natural gut.


Then I also recalled deeply enjoying the 16x10 stringing pattern in the Black Ace 98 (link). The only downside was poor durability, lasting only about 3 hours before snapping.


If I marry the two together, how would it play? The grass trimmer line needed hard hits or a "strong loading" to play well. That's how I arrived at a 16x10 fullbed of grass trimmer line.


As usual, string tensions were way above the recommended range so I will not be posting details here.


Threading the mains first...




The way to get this thick 1.7mm gauge through the grommets is to trim the thickness down, push it through the grommet, then pull with a pair of pliers.




The racket is a Dunlop Aerogel 200 (18x20) if anyone is curious.




Edit:

This stringjob took a little more than 90 minutes. Threading the thick string through the small and very tight grommets took up the most amount of time.

Towards the last few crosses, 
I grew tired and lax and pulled the string a little too hard and too fast. Just realised that a few mains were notched near the bottom crosses...



Can you imagine how rough the texture is now?



Playtest:

- Strangely, a fullbed of this played much better than a hybrid.
- Compared to the hybrid, ball feel, spin and control were better. 
- Instead of needing hard hits for the stringbed to come to live, even modest shots felt good. The skipped crosses did its job well to soften the stringbed. Now, it feels like a normal thick gauge tennis string.
- Due to the very harsh string texture, the crosses did not move at all. Only the mains slided back and forth. When I pulled the cross aside, there was very deep notching on the mains.
- Spin was very good from the mains slide and rough texture. Particular spin serves. A couple of my topspin serves kicked over my partner's height. I'm pleased.
- Control was very good despite the very open pattern. No problems with aiming except when the strings were not straightened out, then some mis-directions occurred.
- Very playable and enjoyable for me, especially the spin!






25Oct2013 update:
- I only rallied with this racket for about 15 minutes in the morning. 
- Tension loss was evident compared to the previous session. Not as bad as to render control useless but enough to make me think about stringing this tighter, or filling in all the missing crosses if I use this again.
- At night, I heard a main string snap in the bag. With this string at 1.7mm thickness, notching must have been the culprit...






No comments:

Post a Comment