Wednesday 6 March 2013

Wilson Hammer 5.8 + Mystery String @ 32 lbs (16x18)

I was handed a pack of unmarked strings to test. The only thing I'm told is that the string's gauge is 1.25mm. 

From my observation, there is a slight rough texture on the string. It is also coated with silicon to ease stringing. Here's how the string looks like...



With blind tests, we can eliminate any biasness from brands or materials, so I happily accepted that pack and  strung up my Wilson Hammer 5.8. There is no special reason for using this racket as it is the only unstrung stick I have at the moment.

While pulling tension, the string feels quite stretchy, like a multifilament. It also snaps back quickly when tension is removed. I know this string is either a multi or syn gut.




As usual, I skipped the bottom cross since I felt there is no purpose to stringing it. Instead of 16x19, this is now 16x18.




Playtest:
- Just hitting against my palm, the stringbed feels very tight even though it is only 32 lbs.
- The strings have no problems sliding freely with the rough surface.
- Power level is very low. I had to do full loopy swings to drive the ball deep from my baseline. Only sweet spot impacts feel very powerful.
- Spin is very good. I can see topspin shots kick up high and sidespin shots curling left or right. Slices are wicked and really threw my partner's timing off.
- Accuracy is very good. I could aim for corners with heavy topspin. I could also hit flat and aim to clear the net by mere inches confidently.
- It feels very comfortable even with a very stiff frame like the Hammer 5.8.
- While I experienced very deep pocketing with ELT syn gut, I did not feel it in this string. On impact, it feels as though the string has maxed out its stretchability. It's a bit like very soft poly. But it does not feel harsh at all!
- In my playing partner's words, "There is a plasticky feel to it". 
- After playing, I get the impression that I should have strung this quite a bit pounds looser.




19Mar2013 update:
- I played a short while with this racket again.
- The tension seems to have dropped slightly so the stringbed feels slightly softer.
- Sweet spot contacts were powerful, very soft and comfortable
- Off sweetspot hits were a bit harsh with slight vibrations.
- Directional control remains superb.
- This string feels like something between a syn gut and poly. It is soft but yet does not seem to stretch much. Very strange to me.
- Spin levels seem to have dipped slightly compared to the first session.
- I'll rate this string playable but not my cup of tea.

23Mar2013 update:
- I used this racket for about 30 minutes again. 
- The same strange "plasticky" feeling of the strings being "over-stretched" kept repeating.
- This is a very low power string. Despite full loopy swings, both my partner and myself struggle to send the ball from baseline to baseline.
- It is not an enjoyable string so its fate is sealed.




Strings:
Mystery String 1.25mm (strung one-piece) @ 32 lbs
(I'll update the string if I get to know what it is)


No comments:

Post a Comment