Monday 25 March 2013

Wilson Hammer 5.8 + Multi @ 32/30 lbs (one-piece)

I did not enjoy the mystery string the last round (link) so I cut it out and decided to try ELT with full multi. Given multi's impressive vibration dampening properties and renown power, I suspect it may play pretty close to natural gut when strung at ELT.





Many online have commented that Pro Supex Maxim Touch is "downright oily". I think that comment is well deserved. No matter how much I clean the string jaws, clamps and wipe down the strings several times with an alcohol dabbed tissue, I still suffer from string slippage. This string is 16g. My clamps are calibrated to hold 17g strings and I'm only pulling tension at 32 lbs!

Initially, I thought that with ELT, any tension differential between the mains and crosses would be frivolous. However, after stringing several different rackets, I noticed that the stringbed feel can be dramatically different even when I use the same string and pull at the same tension.

Hence, I decided to continue my "unfinished business" with varied tension (link). Basically, I am stringing this racket one-piece but with the mains at 32 lbs and crosses at 30 lbs. 





For the mains, the short side is done as usual then tied off. On the long side, I completed 7 mains at 32 lbs then started on the second cross from the top at 30 lbs. After completing 18 crosses, I weaved the last main at 32 lbs and then filled the last cross string on top at 30 lbs before tying off on top.




Just to satisfy my curiousity whether the 2 lbs tension differential would even out, I marked out two main and cross string intersections where the differential is likely to cause string movement. 

The pic below should paint a clearer picture. I can see the red marks on the left has moved by about 1mm.





Playtest:
- Even with a similar frame size and shape as my PSC6.1 (link), with just one additional cross string in this racket makes the stringbed feel SO MUCH more tighter! That's why I like to skip crosses with this racket.
- Tightness, is purely with reference to the PSC6.1. Compare with normal tensions, this stringbed offer heaps of comfort and more. However, there are still very light hints that this is  a very stiff and arm-unfriendly racket. Afterall, it is a Wilson Hammer!
- Just for comparison, I can easily pass this stringbed off as something strung in the low 50s and I think few would doubt me. They'll probably just wonder what kind of special string it is that makes it SO comfortable...
- I cannot tell if it is because of the 16g thicker string or the additional cross string, but spin loses slightly to the PSC6.1.
- Directional control is excellent. 
- First serves were good and accurate. Second serves carried more than enough spin for my partner to stand back and play defensively.
- Between ELT full multi, full syn gut and multi/syn gut, I find the difference is very slight. It seems the differences between rackets still matters much more than the type of strings at ELT.
- Ball fur pic below.



29Mar2013 update:
- After a few sessions with this stringbed, the multi became very gummy. Naturally, since multi is held together using "glue". This is the part I dislike about multi.
- Once it turns gummy, string do not move. The mains and crosses get stuck together and serious notching begins.
- Spin levels are decreasing together with control.
- Power levels seem to be dropping too.
- Comfort remains slightly better than pure syn gut.
- I think it is still much better to hybrid multi mains with something else in the cross to mitigate this gummy problem.



Strings:
Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.30mm @ 32/30 lbs



No comments:

Post a Comment