Monday 2 February 2015

My Gut/Poly Experience

Natural gut always attract a lot of interest and attention. It is a pricey string, but it also plays second to none. 

As soon as I posted my second "pilgrimage" (link), I received a barrage of questions on how the setup plays, how long it lasts, is tension holding really that amazing, how much it costs, etc.


To save myself from becoming a broken record, I compiled some observations in this post.


Stringing

- Before opening the pack of natural gut, every grommet hole must be carefully inspected for sharp edges. Any found must be gently and smoothly sanded down. Then checked again.
- New grommets or new unstrung rackets should not have natural gut as their first stringjobs.
- Gut kinks easily. Previously, I accidentally dropped the gut after snipping off the cable tie and the entire 40 ft tangled up in a huge mess! (link). A light prestretch is a must. Not optional.
- After the prestretch, I always inspect the gut for any kinks or bad patches before stringing. If found, photos were taken and sent to the owners to decide if they want to proceed at their risk.
- To prevent friction burns, either with the grommets or the crosses, waxing is a must. I do it twice - before and after stringing.
- All clamps, including the string gripper, should be cleaned and adjusted before stringing. Too tight and the gut flattens or snaps. Too loose and it slips. 

Playing

- Some claimed gut needed a break-in period. Mine played well from the first hit.
- Gut/poly was very lively, crisp and pocketed the ball very well. The string rebound was fast and powerful. The long dwell time allowed me to execute a lot of strokes I usually could not. Even late hits or last minute saves sometimes became offensive shots!
- Spin was very easy and serves were effortless. Mid-game, when I swapped back to my full syn gut for a test, I had to swing so much harder for my serves. And I lost a lot of control and double-faulted!
- Visually, my partners and I noticed my ball speed was much slower with syn gut. They could chase and return what would have been winning passing shots with natural gut.
- Comfort was supreme! The ball must have enjoyed the hits! It probably felt more like landing on a plush pillow than being bashed by a tight stringbed.
- Even with the small 85 square inch frame, I felt gut/poly opened up the sweetspot larger than on a 100 square inch frame with other strings. It inspired confidence to just let go and rip the ball back. And most times, it turned out perfectly, just like on TV! So much so, that at times, I believed I could execute some of those shots-of-the-day by the touring pros. 
- Instantly, just by using gut/poly, it gave me about a 30% improvement in my overall game.

Tension Holding

- Tension stability was impressive. Nothing comes close.
- Stringbed frequency measurements below:


Total Usage (hours) Frequency (Hz)
Strung
659.0
1.5
648.0
3.0
643.8
4.0
640.9
6.0
639.3
8.0
637.0

- As a comparison, most other strings usually drop about 30 to 40 Hz overnight after stringing without play. This setup lost only 22 Hz after 8 hours of play.
- Playing conditions (in Singapore) for the 8 hours was in the low 30s degrees Celcius. New pressurized balls were used, sometimes new Wilson trainers.

- Being excited with the setup, I stood slightly further back from the baseline than usual and swung much more freely than with my usual syn gut. In other words, I bashed the ball much harder than usual.

Poly String Death

- Since I restring myself, and none of my strings were used beyond 10 hours, I am very sensitive to flat strings. 
- Somewhere around the 4th or 5th hour of use, I started struggling with this stringbed. Initially, I thought I was not performing well that session. Felt sluggish, lacked power and sprayed some shots wide. I stepped up and swung harder.
- Then, the tennis balls felt a little flat. So I changed to new balls. Immediately, control dipped. Shots flew long. 
- The rebound timing of the stringbed was off. When fresh, the ball pocketed deep, then came off the strings enthusiastically, powerfully. Now it felt tired. It pocketed, but returned much slower and weaker. This longer dwell time meant a later part of my follow-through was now determining the ball trajectory.
- By the 5th session of use, which was going into its 7th and 8th hour, the sweetspot almost completely disappeared. Most of my impacts felt more like framed-shots with some light string buzzing. 
- My serve lost so much pace and control. Volleys were so weak the ball kept dropping into my side of the net.
- The racket became very difficult to use and dragged me down. Shots that previously could be pulled off all fell flat.

- For the first time, the kevlar/graphite composite PS6.0 felt stiff with jarring vibrations! Both my wrist and elbow felt very uncomfortable too.



- As a simple test of resiliency, I pulled several gut mains apart and released. All snapped back very quickly. Pulling the poly crosses aside was so much easier. Less strength was needed and less resistance encountered. Not a single cross string snapped back when released. (See crosses 3 to 11 above, all pulled aside)

- Clearly, the gut was still behaving very well, and was supporting the bulk of the ball impact. However, the huge tension loss in the poly created too much "slack" for it to be of any further use.

Replacing Only the Crosses
- The beauty of a gut/poly hybrid is, you can restring ONLY the dead poly!!! (If your stringer would not do it, find another who would!)
- Beware! Hybriding poly with gut WILL NOT insure you against wrist pain nor tennis elbow. Mine hurt after merely 6 hours of use. The poly "died". Use poly safely. Always replace them after 8 to 10 hours, or less.



- While removing the cut poly strings, a sharp edge caught on the gut and snapped the 7th main. Fortunately, the tension loss was contained within the top 2 and bottom 2 crosses due to the way I had strung earlier (link).
- I clamped the 4th main on both sides, re-worked and re-tensioned only the 5th and 6th main strings. Thus converted the gut to fill only the centre 12 mains. The centre 8 mains were completely untouched from its initial stringjob.



- I smeared some coconut oil on the gut strings to lubricate it. Then filled all the rest with synthetic gut and saved a snapped gut string job!


Playtest
- The stringbed came to life again! 

- All the earlier felt components - power, control and comfort came back in full force! Only spin was slightly less than before.
- At my first session after this re-work, my partner, "F", commented via a sms message after our game:

"Actually today your shots were pretty accurate, percentage higher than all other times. Strings or skill?!"

- It had to be the natural gut! How could I improve so fast?





No comments:

Post a Comment