Saturday 10 March 2018

Blacked Out Frames

A sponsored player was struggling with arm pain. He asked if I could replicate his preferred specs in an arm friendly frame instead, then black it out.

His requirements were unique. It was not based on the usual mass, balance nor swingweight. I had to do some "reverse calculations" to determine how to proceed.

Since it was a first for me, I suggested trying the paint and mod on my personal frames to ascertain if I could pull it off. Then let him conduct a playtest before starting work on his actual sticks. 


Took the opportunity to spray paint my trusty rusty wedge as well...


He agreed to the costs. And was happy with the comfort, playability, feel and control after testing it.

But by then, we only had about half a day left before his flight. And he wanted me to modify, match, paint and string SIX rackets. I only agreed to try my best.

There was not enough time to do a proper paint job - stripping out old paint, prime, two coats before a final top coat. Add to that, drying time between coats and final layer.

The black out was to meet his sponsorship obligations. Not for aesthetic purposes. I told him I would spray-paint right over the grommets. And with minimal sanding. He gave the thumbs up.

Within seven hours, I managed to complete four. And when I strung them, the paint was not even completely dry!

The most time consuming part was the pre/post paint measurements, calculations and adjustments. Depending on how much paint was removed or added, the weight impact was very significant to its end state playability.

If anyone wishes to try a similar DIY, do not under-estimate the weight implications of the paintjob. 

Conversely, if you have a thorough understanding of the implications and effects of mass at different areas of the racket, you could make use of this sanding/painting to re-distribute weight to your desired end state, which would otherwise be unachievable.

Even with minimal sanding, which took me probably 15 minutes per racket, initially using 400 grit followed by 800 grit sandpaper, I removed an average of 10 grams per racket!

Final weight adjustments could only be done after the paint completely cured. In the earlier experiment on my own frames, I noticed that the solvent based paint lost weight gradually as it cured. I had to add that back to restore proper specs.

As I did not have time for the paint to cure fully, I added an extra 3 grams per racket to make up for the evaporating solvent. If my calculations were correct, it would end up 1 gram below his target specs when fully cured. 

I gave him enough lead tape to cover any potential shortfall, should he need any.

Needless to say, my stringing machine mounts, hands, arms and shirt were all paint-stained during stringing.

Even though this was a paid project, I have no wish to repeat this mad rush. More time would have been helpful. And I would be more selective on the type of modifications.

But I must admit any rackets look nicer all black. They seem to play better too...





     

No comments:

Post a Comment