Sunday 3 May 2015

Tying Together Used Strings for Re-use?

Inspired by Ricardo from this post, I thought I should give it a try too.

The most recently snapped string I had was kevlar (link), and since kevlar have absolutely no life nor stretch, I thought it would be a good test to see if the knots would hold up.

Ricardo recommended the triple fisherman's knot but I could not wrap the stiff kevlar around. So I tied them together using two parnell knots on each string, totalling four parnell knots.



The knot joint was placed at the throat during stringing.



Despite tensioning the used kevlar at 75 lbs, I managed to complete the all the 10 mains strings smoothly without incident.

However, it was mid-way through the syn gut crosses that the kevlar snapped cleanly from the knotted area. The increased tension from the weaving must have stressed the kevlar.



To be fair, I did not use the recommended fishing knot. Secondly, the snapped kevlar was already fraying at some spots, so it was obviously weakened.

I think I would try this again next time with some other strings. Maybe natural gut?





  

No comments:

Post a Comment