Monday 18 May 2015

ProKennex Black Ace 98 (2009) BumperGuard Removed

Two years after I acquired this racket (link), (or a tennis buddy left it or gave it to me I could not remember), I am still discovering interesting aspects of this racket.

Other than strings, I wanted this stick to move a little faster, especially for return of serves against huge bombers!


The bumper guard is removable and is touted to reduce about 15 swingweight points when taken off. So I tried it...


Checking the weight strung.




Weight unstrung.


Bumper guard weight.








Playing both rackets on court, one with bumper, one without, gave me a very quick feel and conclusion how they differed.


Undoubtedly, this racket's weight is polarized. Although the stock swingweight is a sizeable 331 kg/cm², when the bumperguard is removed, the mid-section felt too light and hollow to provide enough power and stability.


While I could move the head much faster, there was little I could achieve as I could neither send it back deep nor re-direct the ball confidently away from my partner. I felt like I only dinked the ball back, then got punished by a passing shot my partner effortlessly returned.

Feel wise, the feedback was completely lost. The strings felt hollow and boardy, like I was unable to load it. No spin either.

Comments from my partner who received my shots with both sticks echoed the same sentiments.

As a quick test that the culprit was the missing swingweight, I stuck two dampeners totaling 5 grams right at 12 o'clock and played with the racket. Everything came back.

I'll have to install the bumper guard back in.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment