Thursday 15 December 2016

Oldie: 1970s Head Master Aluminium

After decades of hearing from his old man on how well the old aluminium stick played, a young chap finally dusted off his dad's old racket and asked if I could restring it.

"With full poly", he asked.

I always have a thing for oldies, such as:
My 30+ Years Old Slazenger Woody
Another 30+ Years Old Racket By Head
Oldie: Yonex R-10
Yonex Couguss II
Exploding Woody - 1980s Slazenger Vilas

So I accepted after the usual disclaimers and upfront payment.

I'll let the pics do the talking...





I had a session with the chap. The racket was very flexible and comfy. Despite it's strung and gripped total weight of about 380 grams, it was not that difficult to whip this around. 

Even serves were good! I managed an out-wide ace!

Strangely, with a head size of probably 60+ sq inches, coupled with a dense 18x18 string pattern, the string gaps were still large enough to generate more than enough spin to match today's spin effect sticks! I attribute that to the soft flex and heavy swingweight. (link)

The young chap did not fancy this racket, so he traded it with me for something else he liked. 

Glad to add another nice find to my collection!




     

2 comments:

  1. Great to see this article on what was my high school tennis team racket. I picked one up from ebae to have some fun with. Back in the day (when these were new tech) I used natural gut. I don't recall the tension for certain but perhaps 58? I don't want to spend that much on strings, what would you recommend for a good modern string and tension? Any tricks to restring it? Like you, I got a machine and am learning that as I re-enter tennis after a several decade break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alan,

    It sure is nostalgic to see old rackets we've used crop up now and then.

    With full synthetic gut or multi, I had wanted to string it in the low 50s lbs. With this full poly setup, I tensioned it in the high 40s lbs and it played well.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete