Monday 15 August 2016

Tying Knots

When I was first taught how to string about two decades ago, my teacher instructed that I tie knots on top of the stringbed and pull them upwards.

His reasoning was that it was easier to see the knot, and that there would be less obstruction, especially with the clamps below.

Since I was earning my keep then, he accepted no variations. I had to follow exactly what I was told.


Over the years, somehow, I instinctively switched to tying knots below instead. 

I just felt it was easier to pull downwards instead of up. And I did not feel any major obstructions hindering me from tying the knot below.

Another very important advantage to tie it below is safety.

Even though most were taught to pull knots only by hand, or with a starting clamp, many still using pliers to do so.

The most common pliers stringers use is the needle nose plier. When using this pliers to pull knots upwards, slippage is extremely common.

When it slipped, the stringer ended up either back-fisting himself on the face, or stabbing his eye with the needle nose plier.

Clumsy as it may sound, I back-fisted myself several times while tightening knots upwards. Those that string very often would know that there were plenty of near misses as well. 

So, why take the risk? 

I suggest all stringers pull knots below instead.




     

No comments:

Post a Comment