Wednesday 19 August 2015

Signum Pro Poly Plasma (SPPP) ...again...

Since I was given quite a few packets of SPPP, I thought I'll just continue testing this string to see how to make it work. 

This time, I strung it straight-up at 40 lbs based on feedback from my previous attempt. (link) If you look carefully at the pic below, it was done two piece with four knots this time.

 

Even at this low tension, the extreme low-power remained. I passed this racket around my partners. None liked it. Not even those who were previously fascinated by SPPP's legendary tension holding. Neither those who gave me the string.

Comments mirror those from the previous attempt:
- too low power (note my racket's stock SW is 331)
- low spin
- stiff, uncomfortable strings
- need to bash the ball
- very difficult to serve

I persisted using this up to 8 full hours of play to see if there would be any change. Still equally dead, lifeless and very low spin regardless of type of balls used. My shoulder and elbow ached.

So I decided to try it one last time in my very open 10x19 string pattern. (link) This string pattern needed really strong strings!



Such an open pattern would really stress the strings and help me load the ball with my measly swing! Even kevlar mains (link) lasted only 2+ hours in this racket!

Well... it did perform much better! The power could easily match any string setup in an AeroPro Drive. 

Ball rebound and launch angle was only slightly higher than normal. This clearly indicated SPPP's incredible stiffness and tension holding. It did not yield much.

Once I adapted to the power and ball rebound angle, I started whipping the racket to test spin. 

It was very, very good! 

Even with its incredible power levels, almost trampoline-like, all out forward drives sent probably only 5-10% of the shots out. Most curled down in time, neatly between the service and baseline in my partner's court, then jumped about 45 degrees upwards and forward, reaching my partner's head height before descending.

By then, they were hitting the ball somewhere between the baseline and the back fence. The topspin kicked my shots about 2+ metres before my partner could hit it.

Even after 10 minutes of hitting, my partner could not get the ball timing right due to the excessive spin. It was very difficult to read and anticipate where the ball would land and how far it would jump.

Hey! Even my backhand was working super well! I could hit winners, crosscourt or down the line, when I was a little late for the ball. The power helped!

No noticeable drop in tension nor control was sensed after about 20 minutes of heavy, intense groundstrokes. So I tried serves.

Both flat and spin were good. I had little problems aiming for corners. For once in my life, I could hit topspin serves like what I saw on TV! Offensive, powerful, fast-paced and high-kicking topspin serves! The combination of power and spin in the stringbed was perfect!

My conclusion?

If you think you are a very hard hitter, this string would suit you fine. Else, reserve it for rackets with very open string patterns. Or you may find your ego very quickly and harshly tamed.




     

2 comments:

  1. How did long did the snapback effect last? I'm guessing the friction would kill any spin benefits before the string broke as in almost all durable string set-ups...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, I have played 3 sessions with it. That's almost 5 hours and it is still snapping back very readily.

    Medium deep notches can be seen on the mains. But still no need for me to straighten any strings at all. There is some tension loss creeping in slowly but control is still acceptable.

    ReplyDelete