Friday 20 March 2015

Big Butts!

I am an oldie. I like older rackets with heavier frames, especially their impeccable feel.

To me, oldies play superior. They just don't make rackets like they do anymore. New ones feel so light, stiff and hollow. Neither do I feel that I am missing out that much on new racket technologies.


However, after trying out a friend's modern stick for an entire session, there was something that lingered...


Long after I returned the racket, I could not stop thinking about that stock grip. Specifically, that huge butt on that 4¼" grip size.


Usually, playing with any grip smaller than a 4⅜" meant I had to use my "death grip" to prevent the racket from flying further than the ball. With that racket, it did not happen!


The feeling was probably best described by Seamus Heaney in the first two lines of his poem, "Digging":


"Between my finger and my thumb

The squat pen racket butt rests; snug as a gun."

Despite being nostalgic for old sticks, I cannot ignore the impact topspin has on today's game. Many commented on how much easier and extra spin they obtained just by using that spin stick. 

After using that, I would attribute a big chunk of that phenomenal spin generation to the "modern" combination of a slightly undersized grip with a much larger butt diameter. This combination was exceptionally pronounced in Richard Gasquet's racket grip shape. Google it!


Other than the spin, the larger butt sits tight and secure in the hollow right in the middle of the palm. That adds tremendous stability to the racket hoop, especially on serves, return of serves and volleys, while allowing a very gentle hold.


And the good news is, it is extremely easy to "modernise" your racket grip. Either a long strip of foam or an old used overgrip gets it done. Somewhat like the pics in this post.


Spin away!!!




  

No comments:

Post a Comment