Monday 4 November 2013

Fancy: 1.20mm Fishing Line / Syn Gut (16x17)

Many thought I was either stingy or crazy to use fishing line. Online reports of those who tried it were mainly negative.

The grade of fishing line I use is very premium. It is made in Japan and available in Japan only. I have not been able to find it anywhere else so far. I'm told it's not nylon. Since I don't understand Japanese, I suspect it could be some flurocarbon-polyethylene hybrid. Maybe with some polyamide added as well.

Among my friends who tried it, about 80% of them loved this string within mere minutes and wanted it done on their rackets. It's only when I told them of the ridiculously high tensions that their jaws dropped and backed off. One chap shamelessly jokingly asked if I could string it on my racket then loan it to him for a month!

Playtest:
- The feel is very similar to the previous hybrid with poly (link). So I know the characteristics of this fishing line in the mains was very dominant.
- This played comfortably, powerful, spinny and very controllable despite skipping two outer cross strings for a 16x17 pattern.
- A friend with recurring tennis elbow pain tried this and liked it immediately too. I think it speaks volumes about the comfort.
- String movement is minimal, maybe just a tad more than with the poly cross. Just look at that ball fur on the strings!




- There was some very light notching on the fishing mains after about 90 minutes of play.







No comments:

Post a Comment