Monday 12 November 2012

Wilson PSC 6.1 + Kevlar/Poly @ 35/35 lbs

The ultimate most durable strings I read are Kevlar followed by Polyester. So I thought, how would it play if I hybrid them together?

While I had no doubts on the strings' durability, I have questions about my own arm's resilence to absorb any possible harsh feelings those strings would bring. So, safety first! Drop tension of both mains and cross to 35lbs!



My customised PSC 6.1 weighs 354g before stringing and 368g after. So the kevlar poly hybrid added 14g, which is within the expected norm.

Here's how it looks...

Playtest:
- At 35lbs, it is incredibly soft, low powered with very good control
- Absolutely no harsh feeling of kevlar at all
- It turned mushy and spongy after a few hits but control remains good
- topspin is slightly better than multifilaments
- with flat shots, the sound is like soft gunshot rather than pop
- while playing, I get the feeling that at 35 lbs, the strings have not even started stretching yet!

It's definitely way too soft for me at 35lbs, so off it goes...

...or is it time for some unorthodox experiments?


Strings:
Pro Supex Aramid 50 1.10mm mains @ 35lbs
Pro Supex Big Ace Revo 17g 1.25mm cross @ 35lbs


No comments:

Post a Comment