Wednesday 14 November 2012

Dunlop AG500 Tour + Multi/Poly @ 50/45 lbs

After cutting out the multifilament Maxim Touch earlier (link), I re-strung the 500 Tour with a hybrid of multifilament mains with poly cross @ 50/45 lbs.

The previous full multi stringjob offered good control with very good feel until it started losing tension nears its end-of-life. For me, that's usually about 6-8 hours of play.


I was looking for ways to extend the crispy feel of multifilaments. So, instead of the usual poly mains with multi cross, I did the reverse. A higher tension of 50 lbs was still used for the multi since it is a much softer string.




Playtest:
- without looking at the strings, I thought it was a full bed of multi! It's that soft and powerful!
- poly cross added a lot of control and stability to the stringbed
- even after severe notching in the multi mains after about 4 hours, it did not feel mushy
- control and spin remains as good as from the first hit
- tension loss is slight and gradual after 2 hours
- I like this combi very much and will use it again but tweak the tensions
- playing this gives me a rough idea why Roger Federer likes Natural Gut mains with poly cross @ 48/46 lbs


No comments:

Post a Comment