Thursday 13 December 2012

Yonex RDS003v2 + Poly/Syn Gut @ 50/52 lbs

My friend M bought a pair of Yonex RDS003 rackets. But unlike me, he takes his time choosing his strings and desired tension. I strung up and customised one of the RDS003 for him last month (link) and he tested it for FIVE full sessions of tennis before deciding to string his other RDS003! 

M is a funny chap who really mulls his options. But in the end, he still trusts me enough to let me string the racket for him "blind". The usual request from him is "I want MORE spin!". After watching him play, I agreed to use the same strings so he can use the earlier racket as a reference but I'll have the final say to determine the optimum tension.


Here's the usual snapshots I take before the work begins...

















Racket Balance Point is leaded up to about 32.6cm after stringing.


Strings:

Pro Supex Black Fusion 18g 1.19mm mains @ 50 lbs
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Spiral Flex 16g 1.30mm cross @ 52 lbs

Playtest:
- initially, M felt that the stringbed stiffness (~34 kg/cm) was a little tight although control was excellent
- after I tried it, I recommended he either finetune the racket weights or drop tension slightly
- after adjusting the balance and weight, the spin potential of the shaped-poly started showing
- heavy topspin is opening up previously tight or inaccessible corners
- with more spin, M is hitting harder and heavier balls that kicks high
- M loves it and recommends it!


No comments:

Post a Comment