Friday 28 December 2012

Wilson PSC 6.1 + Poly / Multi @ 54 / 45-50-45 lbs

About 15 minutes into practising my serve, the synthetic gut cross string just snapped near the top of the frame (link). Strange that it is the cross that snapped and not the main. Perhaps it is because I like to hit the ball near the top part of the stringbed for serves. I think this is what many would call a "shank" string breakage.

Since I barely clocked about 2 hours of play with those strings, I decided to restring only the cross with a multifilament. I really enjoyed the multi mains with big ace cross last time (link), so this is a good opportunity for me to test the reverse of big ace main and multi cross.

I also varied tension in the cross strings like the rw5800 racket but without skipping any crosses. (link) This is to test if:
1. I should proceed to test a full setup of proportional stringing, and
2. softer crosses would allow the mains to slide more and generate more spin.

As with the rw5800 racket, I marked a straight red line on the cross strings to see if the cross strings tension would even out after play.



Playtest:
- as with the rw5800 racket, the red line did not move at all, so tension holding of the cross strings is excellent!
- this is a very comfortable big ace/multi hybrid setup that i would rank only slightly behind multi/big ace
- control, spin and power are all excellent which is very rare
- volleys actually feel very easy as I only have to get the racket in position and the strings do the rest
- this setup is an all-rounder and unless I find something better, i will continue to use this
- below pic is after almost 2 hours of hard hits (I straightened out only the mains)




4th Jan 2013 Update:
- Below pic is after 6+ hours of play and 7 days after stringing --> red line is faded but still straight!!!




24th Jan 2013 Update:
- Below pic is after 10+ hours of play and 27 days after stringing --> red line is faded but still straight!!!
- At this point, the Big Ace feels totally flat and dead. Will have to cut it out.




Strings:
Pro Supex Big Ace Revo 1.25mm mains @ 54 lbs
Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.30mm cross @ 45-50-45 lbs



No comments:

Post a Comment