Tuesday 18 December 2012

Strings: Determining Tension (Part 2)

Other than the style of players and type of tennis balls used, the racket specs play an important role in choosing string tension.

Rackets specs vary in many factors. What I found to affect my decision in string tension are (from most influence to least):
- Stringing pattern (ie 16x18 or 18x20)
- Head Size (eg 85, 95 or 100 sq inch)
- Swing weight
- Balance point
- Total weight
- Flex / Stiffness

A dense stringing pattern like 18x20 in a small 65sq inch head size (like "Woody") will play much stiffer than a similar pattern in a larger head size. If the head size is similar, then the more open stringing pattern will always play softer than a denser pattern at the same tension.

While many have heard of swing weight, not many that I've spoken with understand it's implications. A heavy swingweight provides better plow through the ball. For me, I can feel the strings grip the ball much better with a higher swingweight. When stringing a low swingweight racket, I usually drop a few pounds of tension to liven up the stringbed.

I used to wonder how could Pete Sampras generate power with his 85 square inch Pro Staff 6.0 strung at 75lbs. Much later, I realised he had so much lead tape on the hoop that his racket balance is moved to become even. If his racket was 10 points headlight originally, that's at least 30g of lead taped to the top of the racket! His racket swingweight increased tremendously to help generate power even at ridiculously high tensions! I think even he would struggle if I string 75 lbs for him in a 9oz (255g) racket.

So while we sometimes want to emulate our favourite tour players, we need to pay attention to the customisations they made as well rather than just racket brand and string tension.



No comments:

Post a Comment