Wednesday 11 June 2014

ProKennex Black Ace Micro with Fishing Line

Every now and then, I receive requests to help repair, restore or restring some vintage frames. 

Occasionally, some wanted to test exotic string setups in their rackets.

The most typical remained - vintage frame with damaged/extinct grommets carrying a strong sentimental value.


But strangely, whenever I mentioned the costs needed to get those frames back into playing condition, all of their "sentimental values" dissipated instantly! Poof!

The owner of the Black Ace Micro could not find anyone willing to restring his 22x30 racket. Neither was he willing to learn how to do it himself. He KNEW it was not a simple job!


Knowing my fondness for such rare collectibles, he offered to swap with something of approximate value. Rackets, stringjobs, or other peripherals.

A deal was made and it became my new toy.

From online searches, specs for the Black Ace Micro are:
Tension: 28-42 lbs (string crosses 2 lbs tighter than mains)
String Pattern: 22mains x 30crosses
Start mains at throat, skip 10Bottom & 12Bottom
Start crosses at 10Top
Shared holes: 13T & 13B
Note: Start crosses on side A of grommet strip
Source: USRSA Stringer's Digest



















Playtest:
- This was strung at 35 lbs, right at the middle of the recommended tension range.
- Control was impressive. There was a very nice pocketing that rebounded very quickly, like natural gut. It could be due to the extra number of strings in direct contact with the ball.
- Impact was very soft but the strings felt tight and firm.
- There was absolutely nothing to suggest this was pulled at only 35lbs. Tranlated, the tightness would probably play close to about high 40s lbs in my 16x18 ProStaff Classic 6.1.
- I had expected spin to be poor with such a dense pattern. But I was very wrong. Ball bite was very good and spin was very controllable. 
- The variance in spin between deliberate high spin and flat shots were greater than with normal 16x19 open patterns.
- Even flat shots were easy to aim and re-direct.
- The flex seemed very low and I could feel the throat bending during impact as it absorbed the power. Not as whippy as a woody, but close. Probably RA 40s?
- Serves were a little challenging. Too much power and the frame would flex, affecting accuracy. So I used a spin serve throughout the game I played.
- Even after about an hour of play, there was zero notching on the fishing line.







9 comments:

  1. i'll tried just when i recieved mine... so, can yu translate me the grades in french, like Centimetres, tension de cordage etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hugues,

    On the right side of the blog, there is a Google Translate Box. Select "French" and voila!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I know the headsize for this racket?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sir,
    Can 18ga (1.12) string be strung for this Black Ace micro?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winner,

    I cannot find the specs for this Blace Ace Micro. I estimate the headsize to be somewhere between 90 to 95 sq inch.

    1.12mm strings should do fine. I read of someone using 17g 1.25mm strings successfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really would like to thank you for answering so quickly, I really appreciate it.

      Delete
    2. I'm going to string my black ace micro with luxilon ace 112 in full bed with a drop weight machine. Currently I'm using a Tecnifibre TFight 315 racquet strung with Black Code at 48lbs. What would be the recommended tension that you can suggest for Black Ace to get the same feel of stringbed as my TFight?

      Delete
    3. It will be impossible to replicate the same feel. Both rackets have different string patterns, total weight, swing weight and flex. The recommended tension range is 28-42 lbs. I think you can try 30 lbs.

      Delete
  6. Thank you again, Sir. I can try your recommended number.

    ReplyDelete