Monday 15 April 2013

Dunlop Mfil300 + Syn Gut @ 32/30 lbs (one-piece)

After coming back to playing tennis, I met with many different players. All, except one, are wielding very stiff and light weight rackets. Their movements and racket preparations for forehands and backhands seem SO FAST!!!

I feel like a dinosaur playing with them! Both in terms of my preference for near extinct oldies and perhaps my clumsiness with 370g (13oz) frames.


Peer pressure is huge. Every Tom, Dick and Harry is telling me my rackets are passe


"Get some new weapons!" 

"Come, try my Babolat!"
"You are not Pete Sampras! Stop trying to use such heavy rackets!"

.... blah blah blah...


So I succumbed and got a lightweight Dunlop Mfil300. Stock weight strung is about 310g. Touted to be highly maneuverable, with great feel and packs a punch. 


Okay! Now I'm suitably equipped! Let's see if I can scare Federer with some ridiculously-paced passing shots. Or "out-whip" Nadal and give him a taste of some REALLY insane topspin with my blending-machine-styled forehand! 


Stringing pics below.






Playtest:
- The string tension is very appropriate. All the usual elements like pocketing, spin, power and comfort are all present in huge quantities.
- Of the above four aspects, spin really stands out. Even without "whipping", the ball already kicks up high. I can see my partner took most of the shots at head-level about 2-3 metres behind the baseline!
- When I really let one go, the topspin added so much speed to the ball that they were clear winners.
- I added about 10g split around 12, 3 and 9 o'clock. Another about 15g is added to the racket handle and butt.
- I can definitely feel it is the polarised weight setup that equips this racket for immense spin. The spin prowess way exceeds my usual non-polarised PSC6.1 (link) or the XT-80 (link). So now I know how a polarised racket generates spin.
- At this lightweight (about 340g), the racket moves very fast. I can take the ball very early, almost like a half-volley.
- The few things I did not like are the lack of stability, especially when receiving very hard flat shots and the twisting from even very slight off-centre contacts. I think I am just too used to heavy sticks.
- And no, I definitely did not attract any special attention. Not even from the retirees playing next court, much less from Federer or Nadal... 
- I'll stick with my "old faithfuls"...



Strings:
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan 1.25mm @ 32/30 lbs



No comments:

Post a Comment