Sunday 24 February 2013

Wilson Hammer 5.8 + Multi/Poly @ 30/30 lbs (16x17)

I have a very good impression of how Multifilament mains with Big Ace cross played. (link) But with so many different combinations of strings to test, I only strung it up once. 

With my ELT fever raging, I want to try this combination again to see how it behaves with ELT. Note top and bottom crosses are skipped.

My objectives are:
- How would poly feel as a cross at 30lbs?
- Can I still get ridiculous amounts of spin?
- What is the tension holding and durability?
- Would the comfort levels exceed this same combo at normal tensions?
- Would this be a trampoline or a completely powerless stringbed?







Playtest:
- I still do not like poly at low tension
- Power is low, but much better than ELT full poly
- Spin is normal. I could hear the strings snapping when I do a windscreen wiper forehand finish, but the ball does not kick high.
- Despite the very soft multi mains, there is a boardy stiff feel at impact with lots of vibrations. 
- Even with a skipped top cross string, contacts a little higher than the sweetspot felt very harsh, almost painful.
- Sweetspot is very small compared to ELT full syn gut.
- Directional control is the only advantage I could find. Aiming is as accurate as syn gut strung in the 50-60s.
- Overall, there is no comfort, little power and marginal spin.


27Feb2013 update:
- Played using this racket again today
- The stringbed feels softer and less harsh but vibrations were still huge.
- There was still very little or no spin with very low power. Many shots hit the net or barely got over.
- There was minor notching on the multi mains.
- I don't enjoy this setup at all. These strings play much nicer at 45-50 lbs.




Strings:
Pro Supex Maxim Touch 1.30mm mains @ 30 lbs
Pro Supex Big Ace Revo 1.25mm cross @ 30 lbs




No comments:

Post a Comment