Monday 21 January 2013

Yonex RDS003v1 + Poly/Syn Gut @ 50/50 lbs

When I played using this racket, something just feels odd with the stringbed. Both M and I could not pinpoint exactly what's wrong. But it just didn't feel right! (link)

It's easy to "blame" the strings this time! With two similar model rackets fine-tuned exactly in weight, balance and grip size, the only differences left are the strings and serial number! And I don't think it is the serial number...

The mystery was solved when I cut the strings. The black fusion poly mains did not "snap apart" much when cut. There was only about a 5-10mm gap between each cut main string. Previously, I recall there was usually a 20-30mm gap when I cut black fusion. So the poly string could have been over-stretched at 54 lbs and lost its resilience.

I recall reading somewhere that poly strings should be strung below 52 lbs. And this was the first time I strung black fusion so tightly. The other racket done at 50/52 lbs turned out very well and comfortable. (link) So I will drop tension and re-string this racket.





Playtest:
- The harsh feelings completely disappeared! Even on off-centre hits!
- The large sweet spot came back and it was very easy to hit the ball
- Both forehand and backhand topspin and slices worked wonderfully well. So well, that my footwork and timing was completely thrown off by M's impeccably executed spin shots!
- A lot of ball fur stuck on the strings proves how well the poly is "biting" on the ball.
- Spin is so good that M can curl the ball down from his baseline to within my service box with a FULL HARD SWING!



Strings:
Pro Supex Black Fusion 1.19mm mains @ 50lbs
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan 1.25mm cross @ 50lbs




No comments:

Post a Comment